Tuesday 31 August 2010

With a bump!


What. A. Week! I feel as if Tuesday before last, I stepped into a time-tunnel and have been deposited here in my room last Tuesday morning without really processing and remembering all the great places I've been to and wonderful, lovely and crazy people I've met. So what have we learned this week?

1) Blog posts must be more be proactive, not reactive. So I'll be talking about gigs I'm going to, not gigs I have already been to!

2) I need to post more!

OK, so a rundown of the last week:

First up, The Hot Selection Carnival Warm-Up Show.


In the above picture are Dave, Frank and myself aka The Plus DJs. We've been friends for a long time, spun many good parties together and I love them both dearly.

They are currently running t'ings on soulradiouk on Tuesday nights between 10 and midnight and they generously asked me to come and join them to celebrate what was then, the impending carnival. I was slightly nervous but I think it went well. To listen back to the show, check out Part 1 here and Part 2 here

Then onto Friday night...in a warehouse...in Battersea? I was lucky enough to be invited to a strange part of town known only as...'The Island'.

- Testbed 1 (in association with Valmont China Clay Ltd) Presents 'The Island'




It was the best event I've been to since I moved to South London. The space was converted into a magical display of music, art, magic, liberal lashings of comedy, a barbeque and of course, a well stocked bar. It was attended by a crowd that to be honest, were more suited to an East London gig. I was very surprised indeed.

The main part of the show was a performance by a group known as The London Snorkelling Team. It's at this point I must finally admit defeat and say this blog isn't gonna work as well without pictures, so I'm going out to get a digicam this week!




Now unfortunately, this picture is not of the event I was at but I wanted to give you an idea of their performance for it is visual, and aural. The show is performed in the style of a live radio broadcast on the imaginary 'Clay FM'. The fantastically tight band of Tom Haines, Chris Branch, Ross Hughes and Pascal Wyse (a very talented man who I was lucky enough to have brief chat with) play a mad blend of styles from Jazz to 60's TV theme tunes with arabic influences. The Perrett Brothers (Tom and Mark) work the OHP (yes, like the one you had at school) and perform 'Live Art'. Usually, I'm sceptical towards such events, but it was excellent. The way the brothers transmit their ideas using such a simple and instantly recognisable medium works very well.




The 'show' is MC'd by a certain Dr. Inshiquin, the 'Doctor' of the island. A very charming man (played expertly by Ed Gaughan), if somewhat oblivious to the crazy elements of this mysterious place, The Island during his hilarious 'Island Notices' interludes. The magical part of the show is provided by the Great Braeburn Valmont. A illusionist of terrifying skill and mystical power...or so he would have you believe! The Great Valmont provided my favourite part of the show, the dude had me stitches! The actor who plays him (Will Adamsdale, possibly the funniest Old Etonian around?!) looks like a young Robin Williams. I hope he does well in the future.

The band as I've said before are amazing and should be supported. Check out there latest offering, 'Audio Recording and Map. In addition to the beautiful sleeve, which is the size of a 10", the album contains a map of the island, illustrated by the Perrett brothers. Check it out:




I've also come across a guy who lives in South London who also went along and took pictures (click here). Check Stoolball, Snail Wooing and a Special Guest appearance from God. Seriously. I was there.

- The Soul Solution Carnival Special @ Gramaphone.

So the night after visiting The Island, I was spinning @ The Soul Solution again but this time w/ Cengiz. I'm really starting to love the sessions there (Big up Soulprovyder!). It was also the first time that I DJed back to back with my new main man Cengiz (aka The Emperor Of The World). I've only known the dude for a couple of months (we met at Sunsplash) but we've got on like the proverbial house on fire and now we're working! (Excellent, my plan for World Domination through music continues!). I've mentioned it on here before, but he is a a talented DJ/producer as well and in addition to all of that he also writes a blog (Best Of All Worlds) and you should check that as well. There are some pictures but you'll have to wait for those!


After we finished our set, I went into the basement and discovered the hypest bashment party. The name of the night is W.H.A.T., ably controlled by two DJs, DJ CLK and DJ Shaq D and trust me, Dave Sacks and I had to be dragged out of there!


- The Notting Hill Carnial 2010





Carnival...I could bang on about how carnival's cultural relevance or how I've been going for so long but this year for was the best. I think perhaps Because I went on both days with people who had never been before, so I fed off their vibes. Sunday: Good Times.





Wicked. Both days. The above picture was taken just round the corner from the bus where we found a lovely lil' spot to party in peace. My Carnival companion for the day, The Lovely MissB. took this picture (again, no digicam!) on the Sunday whilst it was raining. Some hardcore partying went down that day!

After leaving there and pottering around Portobello for a bit, we met up Keeno (SoundSpecies) and slipped into a wicked house party held by West London Badbwoy, The Mighty Bullion. Again, no pictures. Sh*t.

Monday's Highlight had to be the Restless Soul Carnival After party @The Fat Badger...




Phil Asher, Aaron Ross, Bopstar, Jose Carretas, LadyBugz (Big Up Tayo!), Simbad just to mention a few of the excellent DJs down there...a proper old-skool rave. Upstairs room of a pub, big soundsysytem, wicked DJs, good vibes all round.

Right! OMG that post took sooo long to write! In order to help me improve, I have set myself another challenge: One Hot Post everyday this week. That is to say, I will make a post everyday this week, about a topic that interests me and hopefully you as well! As usual, if you have any opinion at all, hit me up on Facebook, Twitter, all the usual places I'm heavy at.

OK, so tomorrow, OHP1 featuring my next mix...Holla.

ATB,

Lebz.







No comments:

Post a Comment